Topamax is an anticonvulsant used to treat seizures and the onset of migraine headaches. But, as with any drug, it may have side effects that range from minor to severe. In some cases, the treatment can be as bad, or worse, than the initial diagnosis. That’s why it’s important to remain vigilant as a consumer.
If you are a Topamax patient and wish to speak with a Topamax lawyer, talk to a member of the Lamber Goodnow team. In coordination with our co-counsel partner firms, we represent patients like you who have suffered as the result of taking Topamax.
Potential Side Effects of Taking Topamax
The side effects that you could experience while taking Topamax range from minor annoyances to serious problems that can be permanent. Because everyone’s body chemistry is different, it is impossible to predict for certain how your body will react to Topamax. If you notice anything unusual after you begin taking Topamax, you could be experiencing a side effect and you should seek medical attention right away.
Some of Topamax’s minor side effects include:
- Mild tremors or muscle spasms
- Pain in the breasts (for women), or chest or back (either sex)
- Leg pain
- A flushed or hot feeling, or increased sweating
Topamax’s major side effects can be permanently life altering. Some of these side effects include:
- Issues with your vision or pressure in your eyes
- A dizzy feeling, or clumsy and slowed motor control
- Unsteadiness on your feet or vertigo
- Involuntary and uncontrolled movements of your eyes
- Redness of the eyes
- Confusion or difficulty remembering things
- An inability to speak properly, focus on a task or pay attention
- Menstrual complications such as a change in your cycle or pain
- Reduced physical and mental speed
- Tiredness, lethargy or weakness
- A sensation of burning, tingling or “pins and needles”
If you begin to experience anything on the above list or anything else that feels out of the ordinary, talk to your doctor about it. You can learn more about Topamax’s side effects by reading this page.
If you are taking another medication, you need to be sure to alert your doctor. Some drugs might interact with Topamax and result in unpredictable consequences. Your doctor will need to research the drugs and make sure that they do not preclude you from using Topamax.
In addition to drugs, there are certain physical conditions that can keep you from using Topamax. If you have any of the following, you may not be able to use the drug, so you should consult with your doctor:
- Problems with your eyes
- Diabetes, or diabetes-related issues
- Kidney disease or damage
- Breathing issues
- Liver disease or damage
- Mood swings or mood dysfunction
Call to Speak with a Topamax Lawyer
If you were injured by Topamax, you may be entitled to recover compensation for your medical expenses, lost wages, and pain and suffering.
The Lamber Goodnow team and our co-counsel firms are a group of legal professionals that help consumers pursue and protect their legal rights. Our team members and those at our co-counsel firms can help you find answers and potentially hold parties who have wronged you, including pharmaceutical companies, accountable. Call 800-283-2652 today for a free case evaluation to see if we can help.