Phoenix Risperdal Lawyers
If you are seeking treatment for a chemical imbalance in your brain, you may be using Risperdal. While it does bring moderately successful results by altering the chemistry in your brain, you need to be aware that there are a number of side effects that you may experience as a result of taking Risperdal.
Would you benefit from a free consultation with a Phoenix Risperdal lawyer? Here at the Lamber Goodnow team, we have dedicated our careers to protecting consumers from the negligence of others. We and our co-counsel firms work hard for consumers in the Valley of the Sun.
What is Risperdal?
Risperdal is usually used to treat conditions such as schizophrenia and bipolar disorder. It may sometimes be used in children who are autistic, helping to reduce irritability. It works by altering the balance of certain chemicals found in the brain.
As with many drugs, Risperdal might interact with other medications you are taking, producing unwanted and sometimes dangerous side effects. As such, you should alert your doctor as to any other medications you are using before you begin using Risperdal.
Because of the large number of potential side effects of Risperdal, it’s important to review as much information as possible about the drug before you begin to take it. You can view a thorough explanation of Risperdal’s side effects here.
Side Effects of Risperdal
Taking Risperdal can result in one or more of a very large number of side effects. Some of these side effects are relatively minor while others are serious and can be extremely dangerous or even life threatening if you do not take immediate action.
The minor side effects of Risperdal tend to be more inconvenient than anything else. As your body adjusts to the drug, it is quite possible that these side effects will begin to diminish in severity and frequency, and they may even disappear altogether.
Minor side effects include:
- Gastrointestinal side effects such as constipation, diarrhea, nausea and general discomfort in the bowels
- Issues with your sleep, such as higher dream activity and longer periods of sleep in addition to increased drowsiness or a lethargic feeling
- Coughing, sore throat, nasal issues (runny or stuffy nose), dry mouth, headaches, heartburn and even unexplained weight gain
The major side effects of Risperdal are much more serious. If you are taking Risperdal and notice any of these symptoms, you should immediately seek medical attention. Some, but not all, of the serious side effects are:
- Changes in your mood, such as anxiety, aggression, confusion and suicidal thoughts
- Vision problems, including blurred vision, difficulty moving your eyes or other changes in your vision
- Difficulty focusing on a task, struggles with speaking or swallowing, and memory issues
- Trembling, nervous tics, uncontrolled muscle spasms, stiffness or weakness in the limbs, a sudden tendency to shuffle when walking, twisting of the body, and restlessness
- Skin issues such as rashes, itching or a mottled appearance
Remember that any drug has the potential to cause different side effects in different people. As such, if you notice something new that started after you began taking Risperdal, there’s a chance that you are experiencing a side effect. This is true even if the issue you are encountering is not found on this list or other sources. If you think you are experiencing a side effect, talk to your doctor right away.
Contraindications for Risperdal
With any drug, there are situations where it should not be prescribed because it could be harmful. That is called a contraindication. If you have one of the following contraindications for Risperdal, you should not take it. Be sure to go over all contraindications with your doctor, as well as a list of all your current medications and over-the-counter supplements.
Contraindications for Risperdal include:
- Problems with your cardiovascular system, including but not limited to high blood pressure, heart disease, arrhythmia or a recent heart attack
- Diabetes, or an elevated risk of developing diabetes
- Kidney or liver problems
- Breast cancer either at the moment or in your past
- Low bone mineral density
- Pregnancy, or the possibility of becoming pregnant
Contact a Phoenix Risperdal Attorney Today
Do you have questions for a Phoenix Risperdal attorney?
If you have taken Risperdal and suffered side effects as a result, you may be entitled to recover for your injuries. Depending on the facts of your case, you may be entitled to recover your medical bills incurred in treating the side effects. You also might be able to recover for lost wages, pain and suffering, and more.
From our Phoenix offices, the Lamber Goodnow team works with patients like you every day. We collaborate with our co-counsel partner firms to evaluate your case and develop a strategy. To find out your options, contact us for a free, no-obligation consultation at 602-274-9662.