Call 24/7 for Free Consultation


conversation (1)


Call 24/7
for Free Consultation
Home 9 Car Accident Questions 9 What happens if I lose my case? Will I owe money to my doctors?

What happens if I lose my case? Will I owe money to my doctors?


What Happens if I Lose My Case? Will I Owe Money to My Doctors?

In my three decades as one of the best injury attorneys in Phoenix, I’ve often been asked by clients, especially those struggling with post-accident trauma, about the financial implications of losing a personal injury case. The concern primarily revolves around medical bills and whether they would owe money to their doctors if their legal battle doesn’t pan out favorably. As a father and a husband, I understand the weight of this concern on a family’s well-being, so let’s explore this topic in-depth.

Understanding the Financial Responsibilities Post-Accident

The aftermath of an accident is not just physically and emotionally taxing but can also be financially burdensome. It’s crucial to understand your financial obligations, especially regarding medical expenses, in the event that your personal injury case does not result in a favorable verdict.

Medical Treatment and Payment Agreements

Initially, when you receive medical treatment post-accident, health care providers are generally understanding of your situation. They often agree to delay the collection of payments until the resolution of your case. In such instances, you might have to sign an agreement acknowledging the debt. This agreement is a formal recognition of your obligation to pay for the medical services rendered, regardless of the outcome of your case.

The Role of Insurance in Covering Medical Expenses

Many clients are unaware of the role their insurance plays in these situations. If the accident involved a vehicle, your auto insurance might cover a portion of the medical expenses, depending on the policy’s limits. Similarly, your health insurance may also cover some costs. It’s essential to understand the specifics of your insurance policies and how they can alleviate the financial strain post-accident.

Options When Insurance Isn’t Sufficient

But what happens if insurance coverage is insufficient or non-existent? This is a common scenario, and it’s important to know that most medical providers are open to discussing payment plans. These plans can provide a more manageable way to settle your medical debts over time. Additionally, exploring discounts or one-time payment deals with your healthcare provider can sometimes lead to a reduced overall debt.

Legal Recourse Post-Verdict

In my experience, a verdict against you doesn’t necessarily mean the end of your legal journey. Your attorney might request a new trial or appeal the decision, especially if there were errors in the trial process. Although these options don’t guarantee a reversal of your financial responsibilities, they do provide a ray of hope in a seemingly bleak situation.

Personal Insights and Conclusion

As a seasoned attorney, I’ve seen numerous cases where clients faced daunting financial challenges post-accident. It’s a situation that requires not only legal expertise but also compassion and understanding. My role is to guide clients through these tough times, exploring all possible avenues to alleviate their financial burdens.

Losing a personal injury case can undoubtedly lead to challenging financial obligations, especially regarding medical debts. However, with the right approach, information, and legal guidance, these challenges can be managed and, in some cases, significantly reduced. Remember, an unfavorable verdict isn’t the end of the road; it’s a new path that requires careful navigation.

FAQs About What You Will Owe After An Accident:

Below are some frequently asked questions that further clarify the financial implications post-accident and the options available to you.

Q: Will the Health Care Providers Wait for Payment?

A: Immediately after an accident, the first thing that you should do is seek treatment. Your doctor or anyone else who sees you will usually agree to hold off on collecting payment for services rendered until after your case has been resolved. However, if you ask to delay payment, you may be required to sign an agreement acknowledging the debt and that it must be paid regardless of if the case is resolved in your favor.

Q: What Happens After a Jury Verdict Goes Against You?

A: After the initial verdict has been reached and read to the judge, your attorney may request a new trial. It may also be possible to reach a settlement that helps to pay for some or all of your medical bills. However, this is unlikely if a jury finds in favor of the defendant.

If a new trial is granted, it may be possible to point out errors in the evidence presented or errors in any rulings made by the judge that could have led to the previous outcome. In the event that a new trial is not granted, your attorney may appeal the decision.

Q: How Will You Pay Your Medical Bills After Losing the Case?

A: There are many options that injured individuals have when it comes to paying their doctors after an accident. After losing a case, it may still be possible to file an auto insurance claim to help pay for damages up to the limits of the policy if the accident took place in a vehicle. It may also be possible to file a claim with your health insurance provider to pay costs up to the limits of the policy.

If you don’t have insurance, it may be necessary to pay either with cash or with a credit card. Typically, a doctor or other medical provider will allow for a payment plan if you don’t have the money to pay your debts immediately. It is also a good idea to look into any sort of discount or other deals that may be available if you do agree to pay any balance owed with one payment.



What’s My Case Worth?